Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blogging is Just Another Way of Avoiding Writing


It's easy and it's fun. It can be done anywhere and often is. It can be pithy and wise. It can cut to the heart of "the matter", but... Blogging is just another way of avoiding writing.

I can sit in a smart Cafe' drinking or at my desk in my room and pound out a thousand words on anything that grabs my interest that day, like "Why does the dishwasher never finish the cycle, I mean there's always a pond of water left sitting in the bottom of the tub and it's what they call pottable water ie. not fit for drinking. Why is it there? Can I just blame the summer cockroaches that have decided that the dishwasher is the perfect place for them to try out their new resort wear? Or is there something more sinister; is this some kind of leftest, greenie, new agey plan to make me hand wash and dry all the dinner dishes." See I could spend an hour or two on that, easily. Meanwhile I'm really supposed to be working on the script.

The script - it's up to third draft stage now (which really means that it's been rewritten at least fifty times but we say third draft so it sounds fresh) and I'm beginning to hate it. Every time I reread it, it becomes more and more banal and trite. I'm over the characters, I'm over the setting, I'm over the artificiality of the hole dang thing. That's one of the reasons I'm blogging.

Another reason - all these articles that I've written and sent off to various "gay" papers are just sitting gathering dust on an editors desk until "the right time" pops up. "will you use them?" I always ask. "Oh you bet, we love them. They're a really interesting take on life. Keep them coming", they say. Man does not live on the promise of publication alone. That's another reason I blog, it's instant, warts and all, bad grammar and spelling mistakes included.

And then there's the short story that's floating around out there in the ethos. It's going to be published but they won't give me a date. I have to say though if I really knew they would publish it I would have written something much better - but it's too late now.

Three days ago I wrote a letter to the editor of a Sydney paper - that was published! (an exclamation mark is lazy writing by the way). Today in the same paper someone has written a reply basically telling me to shut up. If I respond will I get my own column?

Anyway, Act 2 is calling, it needs tweaking. That's just code for I'm going to spend three hours searching YouTube for interesting Vlogs.

1 comment:

  1. I find blogging is great when I have heaps of ideas in my mind and all this stuff I want to write about and say. Blogging forces me to focus, and actually write ... very productive!

    Maybe if Charles Dickens was writing today, he'd be posting Great Expectations up in bits?

    Anyway, congrats on the opinion pieces in da queer press.

    ReplyDelete